Few dishes are tastier, or healthier, than a well-seared tuna steak. Searing is a meat cooking technique that seals in the flavour of the cut you are preparing. Ahi tuna has a flavourful and desirable texture that works well for steaks. However, you can use the searing technique for any meat, poultry or fish.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 ahi tuna steaks, 142 to 198gr.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- Mortar and pestle
- Pepper grinder
- Heavy-bottomed metal cooking pan
- Heat-proof metal spatula
- Paper towels
Pat tuna steaks dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle top of steaks with kosher salt.
Place the heavy metal cooking pan on hob. Heat pan on medium-high heat for three to five minutes.
Place 2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp butter into pan. As it heats, crush 1 tsp whole peppercorns with mortar and pestle or pepper grinder.
Sauté peppercorns in oil and butter for four to five minute until they crackle. Raise heat to high until a drop of water sizzles in the pan. Place seasoned ahi tuna steaks, salted side down, on top of peppercorns. Sprinkle the top of steaks with kosher salt.
Let steaks cook for two minutes, then flip steaks over and cook an additional 1 1/2 to two minutes. Remove steaks from pan and let rest two minutes.
Slice steaks against the grain, fan slices out, and serve plated over rice or couscous.
Tips and warnings
- If you are cooking thick steaks, lower heat to medium-high. Do not overcook. Middle of the tuna should be bright pink to red.
- Use drippings in pan to create a cream sauce. Add whipping cream, or half-and-half to pan and stir the bits off of the bottom of the pan. Cook for five minutes on medium-low. Pour sauce over rice. Place fish on top of sauce.
- Buy fresh tuna and cook it the same day. If unable to cook the same day, cook no later than one day after purchase.
- Do not touch the fish until one side is done and the fillet is ready to flip over. Only flip the fish once.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for