Futons are pieces of furniture that can quickly convert between a sofa and a bed. For small, cramped spaces, futons can replace both to provide a sitting area as well as a primary or guest bed. The Swedish furniture maker IKEA sells the BEDDINGE L--V...S, a metal futon that can be entirely constructed with just the tools included in the package.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- BEDDINGE L--V...S sofa bed
Inventory the construction materials. The futon package should include one wrench, one key tool, eight 100194 size bolts, four 110077 size bolts that end in small points, four smaller 110078 size bolts, 12 washers and 12 nuts. The package should also include two long frame pieces, two two-leg pieces, two hinge sets with "1" and "2" labels on them, one seat section labelled "1" and one back section labelled "2."
Attach the two long frame pieces to the two two-leg pieces using the four 110077 pointed-ended screws to create the bottom frame. The hooks on the leg pieces should face inward toward the centre of the futon.
Attach the hinges to the inside of the frame using four smaller 110078 bolts, washers and nuts. The "1" label on both hinges should be on the forward side of the futon frame. Tighten the bolts and nuts using the key tool and wrench.
Lay the seat section, labelled "1" on top of the frame. Use four long 100194 bolts, washers, and nuts to attach the seat to the hinges using the holes on both sides of the "1" labels. Tighten the bolts using the wrench and key tools.
Set the back section, labelled "2," flat on the frame and use four long 100194 bolts, washers and nuts to attach the back to the hinges using the holes on both sides of the "2" labels. Tighten the bolts with the wrench and turning key. Lay the futon mattress onto the frame and zip the two pieces together.
Tips and warnings
- IKEA futons should only be adjusted from the front. To fold up to reclined position, lift the seat until the hinges click. Lift the seat until the hinges click again to fold up to an upright sitting position. To lay down flat, lift the seat until the hinges click again.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for