A motorcycle transport trailer is a flatbed trailer on wheels used to transport your motorcycle. It can be either enclosed or open. The trailer is attached to a car or truck. The average motorcycle is about 7½ feet long with a width of about 3 feet. Motorcycles average 204 Kilogram dry weight. (Dry weight is the motorcycle weight without liquids, such as brake fluid and gas.)
Things you need
Carbon steel trailer base
Curved aluminium diamond plate
2 13 inch chrome trailer wheels
Adjustable wheel chocks
Soft-loop tie downs
Trailer hitch lock
LED red trailer lights
Use a carbon steel trailer base at least one foot larger on each side than the motorcycle. The sides of the trailer can be made with steel tubing, measuring the same as the diameter of the trailer bed. The wheel covers and bed of the trailer can be constructed with aluminium diamond plate. The chrome wheels should measure 13 inches.
Attach the wheels to both sides of the trailer at the one-third mark of the entire measurement of the sides of the trailer bed from the rear. Make wheel covers with curved aluminium diamond plate that is specifically for the size of wheels you use. Use flexible bolts with metal plates to secure the wheels to the trailer bed.
Solder the trailer axles to the fork and wheel bolts of the trailer with a stud welding gun. Use trailer hitch locks between the fork and attaching bolt of the transporting vehicle. Also use the stud welding gun to weld the fasteners to the sides of the trailer and the sides to the bed of the trailer.
Bolt adjustable wheel chocks to the trailer bed, one for each motorcycle wheel. An alternative is a one-piece motorcycle trailer tie-down, which is bolted to the trailer bed in the same manner as chocks. The plastic wheel chocks should be placed at a straight angle to the motorcycle. The tie-down anchors should also be placed at straight angles. The tie-down straps should be draped and secured across the motorcycle at a 45 degree angle for even weight distribution and balance. Use the soft-loop tie-downs so the motorcycle doesn't get scratched during the transport.
Attach your trailer to the transporting vehicle with a forked hitch, and use flexible hitch mounts so that the trailer will turn easily when the transporting vehicle navigates turns and curves. A removable trailer hitch lock will fit in between the forked hitch head and the mount on the transporting vehicle.
Place LED red trailer lights on the sides and rear of the trailer, with four small lights on the sides and two larger lights in the rear of the trailer. Check with your local laws to find out if your trailer requires a number plate to be placed at the rear of the trailer to make it street-legal.
- Only use parts specifically made for motorcycle trailers. The weight and size of the parts will enable standard motorcycles to fit easily onto the trailer bed. Do a test run with the tie-down straps at the 45 degree angle to ensure that the motorcycle remains immovable during transport.
- Don't use wood or plywood as a trailer base. The weight of the motorcycle in transport may crack the wood. The motorcycle transport trailer must be flexible, but not wobbly when transporting. If, after a test run, the trailer is not smoothly flexible, redo the soldering of the bolts.
Tips and Warnings
- Only use parts specifically made for motorcycle trailers. The weight and size of the parts will enable standard motorcycles to fit easily onto the trailer bed.
- Do a test run with the tie-down straps at the 45 degree angle to ensure that the motorcycle remains immovable during transport.
- Don't use wood or plywood as a trailer base. The weight of the motorcycle in transport may crack the wood.
- The motorcycle transport trailer must be flexible, but not wobbly when transporting. If, after a test run, the trailer is not smoothly flexible, redo the soldering of the bolts.
Things you need
- Carbon steel trailer base
- Curved aluminium diamond plate
- 2 13 inch chrome trailer wheels
- Flexible bolts
- Metal plates
- Adjustable wheel chocks
- Soft-loop tie downs
- Tie-down anchors
- Forked hitch
- Hitch mounts
- Trailer hitch lock
- LED red trailer lights
- Welding gun
- Bolt screws