Calcium deposits can build up on the internal parts of a DeLonghi coffee machine and impair its function. Decalcification is the process off stripping away the accumulated calcium in the system. However, some harsh cleaners that dissolve calcium also eat away at the working parts of DeLonghi coffee makers and cleaning agents left in the machine can negatively affect the flavour of the brew. Alternatively, white vinegar can be used as a gentle but effective cleanser. Decalcify your DeLonghi coffee machine regularly for years of reliability and better-tasting coffee.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Distilled white vinegar or coffeemaker descaling powder
- Long spoon
Fill the coffee machine's reservoir with cold water.
Add 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar for every 5 cups of water in the reservoir or the suggested amount of descaling powder according to the manufacturer. Stir the powder with a long spoon until it has completely dissolved.
Remove the filter and filter basket from the coffee machine.
Plug the DeLonghi coffee maker into an electrical socket.
Place the empty coffee carafe in position on the heat plate to catch the brew.
Flip the machine's ON/OFF switch to start the brewing process.
Empty the carafe when the contents of the reservoir have passed through the machine.
Fill the reservoir with cold water.
Brew the clean water through the machine.
Repeat the water refill and brew process until no vinegar smell or calcium residue is detected in the carafe.
Tips and warnings
- Some DeLonghi coffee maker models have a decalcification warning light. This light begins to flash after 90 brews when the machine is ready to be flushed. Press the RESET button on the back of the machine to stop the flashing after the decalcification process is complete.
- Vinegar can also be used to decalcify a DeLonghi espresso machine. Brew vinegar and water through the machine and soak the milk-steaming nozzle in the same acidic solution.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for