Sausage and peppers is a much-loved Italian dish. Tradition dictates that either sweet or hot Italian sausage, onion and bell peppers are sautéed in a heavy skillet and then simmered in a tomato-wine sauce. The sausage and peppers are sometimes served with pasta or sandwiched in a hoagie roll. A modern-day twist on the dish is to make sausage and peppers a little less time-consuming by cooking them on a griddle.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hob or electric griddle
- Medium-sized bowl
- Small bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Wooden spoon
- 4 sweet or hot Italian sausages
- Large bowl
Place griddle on the stove to heat or turn on an electric griddle to a medium-high setting.
Put sliced peppers and onions in a large bowl.
Combine Worcestershire, vinegar, basil and oregano in a small bowl and set aside.
Pour the olive oil on the griddle and allow it to get hot.
Add the sliced peppers and onions to the griddle and sauté until tender, moving them around with a wooden spoon to ensure they cook evenly.
Transfer the peppers and onions to the Worcestershire mixture and toss to coat. Set aside.
Pierce sausages several times with a fork and place them on the hot griddle. Sauté the sausages for about 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked through to an internal temperature of at least 71.1 degrees Celsius, occasionally turning the sausages with tongs.
Combine sausages and peppers in a large bowl and serve over pasta or inside of split hoagie or grinder rolls.
Tips and warnings
- To make sausages easier to eat in a hoagie roll, slice them in half and then lengthwise.
- Combine both hot and sweet sausages in a recipe for a dichotomy of flavours.
- Turkey sausage may be substituted for traditional sausage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for