Ground turkey is a good substitute to minced meat or pork. Turkey is a leaner meat and it contains less fat. Instead of frying the turkey burger in oil on the hob, you can bake it in the oven. Oven-baked turkey burgers take slightly longer to cook, but baking in the oven gives you a less crisp texture. Once you finish baking the turkey burgers, you can serve them on a fresh bun to create a healthy sandwich.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Baking dish
- 0.454kg. ground turkey
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 cup crushed crackers or breadcrumbs
- Meat thermometer
- Cheese slice
Heat the oven to 191 degrees Celsius. Apply non-stick cooking spray to a baking dish.
Combine 0.454kg. of fresh ground turkey, 1 lightly beaten egg, 1 cup of crushed crackers or breadcrumbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients together well.
Form the turkey mixture into four equal sized patties. Place them in the baking dish.
Bake the turkey burgers for 30 minutes or until they have an internal temperature of 73.9 degrees Celsius. Turn the turkey burgers over once while they bake in the oven.
Add a slice of cheese to the turkey burgers during the last 2 to 3 minutes of the cooking time. Once the cheese melts, remove the turkey burgers from the oven and serve them while hot.
Tips and warnings
- Add other ingredients like chopped onions, diced peppers, cayenne or garlic powder to the burgers to add flavour.
- Wash your hands before and after handling the turkey burger to prevent spreading bacteria that may cause food-borne illnesses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for