Your HP Officejet 5510 printer uses a 57-model colour ink cartridge to spray ink through a series of nozzles onto a sheet of paper whenever you print a picture or text document. The printer's indicator light will flash repeatedly, and your computer will display an error message, if there is a problem with the colour cartridge. The error message is caused by a problem as simple as dirty print contacts, or even by a damaged or improperly installed cartridge.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Cotton swab
- Distilled water
Press the power button on the Officejet's control panel if the machine is turned off. Lift up the black, plastic access door at the front of the printer.
Wait for the print carriage to automatically move into view. Locate the colour ink cartridge at the right side of the ink carriage. Gently press down the plastic cover over the colour cartridge and then lift the cover.
Grip the front of the colour cartridge and pull it out of the carriage. Check the bottom edge of the cartridge to see if the strip of tape has been fully removed. Pull off any remaining tape.
Set the cartridge upside down on a sturdy work surface. Dip a cotton swab into a container of distilled water and wring out any excess water so the swab is damp, but not dripping.
Wipe off the small metal contacts on the colour cartridge with the cotton swab. Do not wipe the nozzles on the raised portion of the ink cartridge, as the water may damage the nozzles.
Clean off the corresponding metal contacts inside the ink carriage with the cotton swab. Push the colour cartridge back into the carriage and close the plastic cover. Push down the plastic door at the front of the HP printer and wait for the ink carriage to slide back into position.
Tips and warnings
- A replacement 57 colour cartridge is available through HP, at office supply stores or online stores that sell printers and electronics.
- The colour cartridge has an electrical strip on the bottom end. If the strip is torn off or damaged, the cartridge will not work properly and must be completely replaced with a new cartridge.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for