The recovery process involves the deletion of all data on a hard drive and the reinstallation of the operating system. Toshiba offers users of their Satellite A10 series laptops the ability to reset their laptop to original factory settings. You will need the recovery CDs that were included with the laptop to initiate the recovery process.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Toshiba Satellite recovery CD disks
Start the computer. Immediately press the "Esc" key on the keyboard to access the BIOS utility set-up screen. Press F1 when prompted.
Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate the set-up menus. Press the keys to highlight "OTHERS." Press the "Enter" key.
Use the arrow keys to navigate to "CD-ROM>Floppy Disc Drive>to Hard Disc Drive." Press "F10" to save your selection and exit the utility. Allow the laptop to boot as normal.
Unplug all peripheral computer accessories such as external hard drives, printers, etc. Leave the keyboard, monitor and mouse plugged into the computer.
Insert the first disk of the Recovery CD set into your CD/DVD drive.
Restart the computer. Press "F1" to begin the recovery utility. Press "C" to continue.
Allow the laptop to boot from the CD. Follow the onscreen instructions when they appear.
Change disks only when prompted by the onscreen instructions. Allow the computer to automatically reboot when the recovery process is complete.
Tips and warnings
- If the BIOS utility asks you for a password and you have never set a password for your laptop, the default password for Toshiba computers is 000000 (six zeros).
- If you no longer have your recovery CDs, contact Toshiba Support for replacement disks.
- The recovery utility will erase all existing data on the drive. Be sure to back up all your data on the hard drive before attempting the recovery process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for