Have you ever been abroad, purchased a DVD and tried to play it on your laptop, but it just wouldn't play? The reason was probably because your DVD player was set up to read a different "region code." A region code is a type of encryption used on commercial DVDs. Region codes keep DVD players locked to a particular regional encoding, so that they can only play DVDs from the same region. To work around this problem, there are some media players and DVD programs that can circumvent a laptop's built-in region code, letting you play DVDs on your laptop drive without regard to region codes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Laptop with DVD player
Download and install the VLC Media Player. It is one of the most popular media players today. You can download it for free and install it into your laptop. This player ignores DVD region codes, allowing you to play any kind of DVD from your drive.
Insert your selected DVD into your drive and run VLC player.
Open "Media" from your computer and then choose "Open Disc." Find the "Disc "in the tab area, and click on "Disc Device." Select the appropriate drive where your disc is located and press "Play" to start playing the DVD.
Purchase DVDFab Passkey or opt for the trial program, which also allows full functionality. Download it and install it.
Once it has been properly installed, you will be prompted to restart your laptop.
After the reboot, the DVDFab Passkey welcome screen will appear. Press "Start DVDFab Passkey."
Open your disc drive and insert the DVD you want to play. You will then be prompted to select the region for the DVD. Choose the correct one and click "OK." You can now play your DVD.
Purchase or get the trial version to download. The trial period for several days will allow you to use its full functionality, after which you have to pay.
After the successful download and installation, you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Restart.
Log in to your laptop again after the restart. Slysoft AnyDVD will boot up automatically and will disable the region codes on your DVD drive.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to download or purchase other compatible DVD player software, you can do so from reliable sources such as CNET. This popular site provides specifications and reviews on different software and products that you might be interested in.
- Avoid possible issues with your laptop computer that can result from erroneous download and installation. Make sure you check all the resources, specifications and compatibilities of the programs you will download for region encoding bypasses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for