The Hewlett-Packard Officejet J5780 All-in-One printer features a printer, scanner, copier and fax machine in a single unit. The J5780 uses two regular ink cartridges--black and tri-colour--to print, with photo printing with an optional photo ink cartridge also possible. The ink cartridges fit into cartridge holders in the print carriage located inside the printer under the top cover (scanner unit and console). HP designed the J5780 with a simple push-style cartridge locking system.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plain, white paper
Turn on your HP Officejet J7580 All-in-One printer by pressing the "On" button at the top right corner of the printer console.
Place the fingertips of your dominant hand under the front of the console, then lift up slowly until the top cover rests in an angled open position to reveal the print carriage. If done correctly, the carriage should have moved to the right side of the printer when you opened the cover.
Remove the first ink cartridge from its package. Remove the tape off the bottom of the cartridge by grasping the pink tab and pulling the tape slowly and carefully away.
Hold the ink cartridge with the label facing up and the copper-coloured electrical contact facing the printer. Slide the cartridge into its appropriate holder--black or photo cartridge into the right holder or tricolour into the left--and then push the label on the top of the cartridge down and forward until you hear the cartridge lock into place with a click.
Repeat Step 3 and Step 4 to install the second ink cartridge, then close the top cover.
Press the "OK" button under the display on the console to print out a print alignment page. Lift the scanner lid, lay the print alignment page face down on the scanner glass, close the lid and press "OK" again to align the ink cartridges within the printer. When the printer finishes the alignment, remove the page.
Tips and warnings
- To remove existing ink cartridges for cartridge replacement, press down on the labelled top of the cartridge to unlock it from the holder and simply pull it out.
- Always have plain, white letter or A4-sized paper loaded in your printer before installing or replacing the ink cartridges.
- Never attempt to install the ink cartridges with the printer turned off. The carriage must rest on the right side of the printer to unlock the cartridges. Forcing the carriage to the right can damage it or the printer.
- Existing ink cartridges--if you're replacing cartridges or swapping the black and photo cartridges--won't unlock from the printer when it's turned off.
- Touching the ink nozzles on the ink cartridges--or the copper-coloured electrical contacts on the cartridges or in the holders--can damage the cartridges or printer and/or result in poor print quality.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for