Laptops are lightweight, compact, and often left unsecured on a desk or table, making them easy targets for thieves. To reduce the risk of theft, secure your laptop with a Kensington lock. Many laptops have a slot on the side or rear to which you can insert a laptop lock cable, attaching the cable to a heavy object in the room to prevent someone from walking off with your laptop. Although there is no way to completely prevent theft, a Kensington lock will make your laptop more secure.
- Skill level:
Select an immovable or heavy object, such as the leg of a desk, to which you will lock your computer.
Wrap the looped end of the cable around the object, then slide the locking device through the loop.
Place the locking device into the lock slot on your laptop.
Insert the key into the lock and turn the key to the locked position, then remove the key.
Pull gently on the locking device to confirm the lock is secure.
Tips and warnings
- Store your key in a safe location away from the laptop or on your person.
- The lock slot on the laptop is often labelled with a lock icon.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for