How to reset a sentry safe combination
Whether you want to protect your guns, jewellery or important documents, having a home security safe is a good idea. It also makes sense for an owner of personal safe change the combination frequently to prevent authorised people from having access to it.
For owners of Sentry safes, following are some guidelines on changing your safe combination. These instructions only apply to Sentry safes with electronic locks, as manual lock combinations are set at the factory and can only be changed by a qualified locksmith.
- Whether you want to protect your guns, jewellery or important documents, having a home security safe is a good idea.
- For owners of Sentry safes, following are some guidelines on changing your safe combination.
Open you Sentry safe by typing the five-digit factory code (found in your owner's manual) on the keypad. It's always a good idea to change your combination while the safe is open, so that you don't inadvertently lock yourself out.
Delete any old codes by pressing the "PROG" key and entering your factory code twice.
Press the "PROG" key again on your Sentry safe's keypad.
- Press the "PROG" key again on your Sentry safe's keypad.
Enter your safe's five-digit factory code.
Enter a five-digit code of your choosing. This is your user code. While the factory code cannot be changed, your user code can be changed as often as you like, and that should be your primary code to open the safe. Only you should know your safe's factory code.
Retype the user code to verify it is working, and then close the safe.
- Since your factory code cannot be changed, only you should know that combination.
- Do not share your personal safe combination with anyone.
Michael Scott is a freelance writer and professor of justice studies at Westminster College in Salt Lake City, Utah, and is a former prosecutor. Scott has a J.D. from Emory University and is a member of the Utah State Bar. He has been freelancing since June 2009, and his articles have been published on eHow.com and Travels.com.