You could be changing your existing landline number for a number of reasons. Perhaps, you're doing it because you're tired of all the harassing calls from obnoxious callers. Or, you may be looking for a new number an annoying person from ringing you up all the time. No matter what the reason, you can easily change your phone number. Upon changing the number, make sure you share it with a limited number of people so your new home phone number doesn't leave the circle of your close friends and family members.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Contact your current landline phone service provider. If you do not have the number, consult the phone book or yellow pages. A few telephone companies keep their customer service departments accessible even during weekends so there should not be any problem reaching them by telephone.
Tell them that you want to change your existing phone number. Ask them how much will it cost and how many business days it will take to get the new number working.
Inquire from the company the detailed procedures of changing the number. Some companies allow you to change your phone number online. It is much easier to have an online account through which you could change the number without having to wait for days to get the phone company to make changes on its end. The customer service representative will walk you through the entire procedure.
Tips and warnings
- You can ask the landline phone company to remove your number from their book. This will prevent unwanted callers, especially telemarketers from getting your number. This service might cost you additional fees.
- If you are simply changing your number to get rid of unwanted callers, you can also consider other options like call blocking or some other privacy features.
- While you are on the phone with the customer service representative, inquire about current landline phone packages available. You may be able to get a better phone plan that was previously unavailable when you last signed up.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for