Domain registrars sell domain names and maintain data on each domain registration. Businesses seeking to get information on a particular domain can access certain public information on various registrar websites. For example, a business can use a registrar to find out the names of particular domain-name owners and contact information. Businesses can then offer to purchase the domain name or use the information to make other business proposals.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Internet access
Access the Register domain registrar's "Whois Lookup" page (see References). You may find the domain-name owner who registered a particular domain with this tool.
Enter the domain name whose owner you would like to find and click the "Find It" button. Make sure you enter ".com" or the other suffix that goes on the end of a domain name. Many domains have a common main name but a different suffix. Do not enter the "http://" that goes in front of domain names. Enter the security code in the image on the "Whois Verify" page. Registrars use this kind of security-code image to prevent programs from automatically searching the WHOIS database.
Read the "Whois Results" page to get information on the domain registration. The "Organisation" and "Admin" sections contain the name and contact information for the domain owner.
Open the "WHOIS behind that domain?" page on the Network Solutions website (see References). You may use the Network Solutions WHOIS tool to search for domain-name owners by either website address or IP address.
Enter the domain name or IP address in the search box. Click the "Search" button to access the "WHOIS Results" page.
Read the results to get the registration and owner information. Domain registrant information includes a phone number, mailing address and e-mail address.
Access the GoDaddy registrar's WHOIS database search page (see References). Enter the website name and use the drop-down menu to select the domain suffix. Click the "Go" button to run a domain search.
Enter the access code. The code appears on the next page. This code prevents spammers from automatically compiling data on domain contact information. Click the "Verify Code" button to get the search results.
Read the results page. Look at the "Registrant Contact" and "Administrative Contact" sections to find out the name and contact information of the domain-name owner.
Tips and warnings
- Many other registrars use the same basic process for WHOIS searches. You can find the same domain information by using any registrar's WHOIS search engine.
- Registrars sometimes offer a proxy registration. The owner data in a WHOIS search for a proxy-registered domain will list the registrar information instead of the actual owner. Registrars do not release owner data on domains registered by proxy. You would need a court order to get owner information for such a domain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for