The Nikon 70-300 Zoom VR (Vibration Reduction) lens is a high-performance super telephoto lens and a perfect choice for outdoor sports and wildlife photography. Often times lens-cleaning supplies are overlooked by the amateur photographer, but all photographers have to deal with dust entering the camera at some point. Though the task of cleaning off internal dust from a Nikon 70-300 VR can seem daunting, cleaning internal dust from a Nikon 70-300 VR is actually easy.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Lens cleaning kit (blower, microfiber cloth, lens tissue and lens-cleaning fluid)
- Canned air
Detach lens from camera so you are viewing the internal part.
Remove fingerprints with a circular wipe of a microfiber cloth.
Remove loose dust with blower before using lens-cleaning fluid. Recurrent dirt should be removed with lens-cleaning fluid.
Apply one or two drips of lens-cleaning fluid on lens tissue, and wipe glass surface in a gentle circular motion.
Use dry lens tissue to remove residue if needed. Do not apply cleaning fluid directly onto lens surface.
Purchase canned air to blow any other loose dust away. The nozzle of the canned air should be at least 3 to 5 inches away from the glass---if the nozzle is too close, it will leave a condensation ring on the lens.
Reattach lens to the camera and test. The resulting image should not have any signs of dust or spots. Repeat steps 1 through 8 if there are signs of dust or spots.
Tips and warnings
- Even if your lenses don't look dirty, every few months give exposed surfaces a cleaning with Residual Oil Remover (ROR). The optics look visibly clearer after an ROR treatment.
- When using an expensive lens in a dusty or wet environment, keep a Black and White UV filter on the lens and replace the filter every year or two.
- Do not under any circumstances try to clean your Nikon 70-300 Zoom VR lens with a rough cloth or your T-shirt. This will indefinitely scratch the lens, and you will be left with poor images.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for