Flooring sets the tone for every room, and a curved carpeted floor will add flair and accent focal points and traffic patterns. If you're installing a curved carpet floor that will butt up to tile, you may be confused when it comes to making the transition. There's a standard procedure for this process, and it will assure a smooth transition in your flooring materials and give your finished project a professional appearance.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Tack strips, lineal feet to equal length of curve
- Heavy snips
- 1/2-inch tacks
- Stair tool
- Utility knife
Fold back the carpet and pad to expose the curved edge where it is to be installed. Do not trim the carpet at this time.
Cut the carpet tack strip into three inch pieces to fit the arc of the curved area 3/8-inch from the edge of the tile. Note that the edges of the tack strip pieces will not meet flush when installed.
Nail the strips into place along the curve, taking care to maintain the 3/8-inch gap between the edge of each tack strip piece and the tile. Use 1/2-inch tacks to secure the strips, taking care to use two tacks per piece.
Unfold the carpet and pad so it overhangs the installed tack strip and lays flat on the tile.
Hold the carpet up while trimming the pad to the inside edge of the tack strip, away from the tile edge.
Cut the carpet 1/2-inch beyond the edge of the tack strips, using a sharp utility knife and taking care to cut away from your hands and body.
Tuck the cut edge of the carpet into the gap between the tack strip and tile, using a carpet stair tool to press the edge tightly into the crevice.
Tips and warnings
- If the curved area is over three feet the carpet should be stretched into place, as per normal installation procedure.
- A narrow putty knife or stiff spatula may be used in place of a stair tool.
- If the tile is more than 1/16-inch higher than the height of the carpet and pad, shims may be used to raise the finished level of the tack strips and carpet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for