Dell has been a pioneer in the laptop market. However, despite being the flagship of the company, Dell's laptop keyboards are notorious for losing teeth. Although you may consider buying an external keyboard if your laptop keyboard no longer works, there are simple ways to replace or repair defunct keyboard keys.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dell laptop
- Extra laptop keys and retainers
- Super or Gorilla Glue
- Compressed air can
The keys of a Dell laptop are not as flat as others, meaning things can more easily get underneath the keys, hampering their ability to be depressed while compromising the spring mechanism.
Take a can of compressed air, placing the hose underneath the keyboard keys, and shoot short bursts of air throughout the keyboard.
Depress the keys down until they snap into place.
If the keys still won't snap into place, remove each key gently from its saddle and remove any debris the compressed air couldn't lift out.
Depress the key until it snaps. If the key still won't snap down, apply a small amount of Super Glue to the underside of the key. Gently position the key in its saddle and hold firmly for 15 seconds. Do this for all keys and then let the glue dry for at least an hour.
Keys Won't Snap Back In
Dell offers replacement keyboard keys. If the keys for your keyboard are beyond the repair option above, purchase replacements.
Open the scissor-snapping mechanism while lifting it toward you from the top. The scissor will swing open.
Attach the retainers to the backs of the new keys.
Slide the retainers onto the scissor mechanism and press down firmly until it snaps into place.
Replacing Damaged Keys
Tips and warnings
- Keep Q-tips close by if you need to use glue.
- Most keyboard keys are a quick fix. Make sure no debris is blocking the key from depressing.
- After extensive use, scissor mechanisms may snap open. If a key is loose, remove it and check the scissor mechanism.
- Be careful with glue. Adding too much may glue the key tightly to the inside of your laptop, holding it down permanently.
- While removing keys, be careful not to apply too much pressure. Simply yanking the keys off the board may result in damaging the retainer or scissor mechanism.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for