Bring the bounty of a colourful harvest to your desserts by decorating your cakes with fruit. Naturally sweet and colourful, fruit adds a delicate touch to any iced cake. Use fresh fruit or sugar coat it to add a sparkle. Opt for the brightest, freshest looking fruit you can find for decorating your cakes to give them a professional touch.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baked and iced cake
- 2 tablespoon pasteurised egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 quart mixing bowl
- 3 cups small, whole bite-sized fruit (grapes, kumquats, berries, etc.)
- 1 cup sugar
- Wax paper-lined baking tray
Whisk together 2 tablespoons of egg whites and 1 tablespoons of water.
Stir 3 cups of whole fruits into the egg white mixture to coat and then remove to a bowl.
Sift 1 cup superfine sugar over the fruit and toss to evenly cover all of the fruit with a thin layer of sugar.
Lay the sugar-coated fruit in a single layer on a waxed paper lined baking tray and let dry overnight to harden the sugar.
Scatter the sugar coated fruit over the top of an iced cake or carefully arrange the fruit in outlines of shapes such as stars, circles, lines or boxes on the top of the cake.
Tips and warnings
- If you want, you can arrange fresh fruit pieces on top of an iced cake without sugar coating it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for