Most current HP laptops ship with a utility program called the HP Recovery Manager. The Recovery Manager allows users to access their laptops from a recovery partition in the event of an operating system failure. The recovery partition contains information about the operating system and programs originally installed on the laptop. By booting into the recovery partition, users can use the Recovery Manager to restore the laptop to factory condition.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Turn on the computer's wireless function by pressing the "Wireless" button on the laptop's keyboard.
Restart the computer by choosing restart from the Windows Start menu. If the operating system is frozen, press and hold the "Power" button until the computer shuts down. Once the computer is off, press the "Power" button again to turn it on.
Press and hold the "F11" key on the laptop's keyboard during start-up to boot into the recovery partition and open the Recovery Manager. If you see the Windows logo, you did not press the "F11" key soon enough. Wait for the computer to finish booting and restart again. Repeat this process until you see the "Welcome to HP Recovery Manager" screen.
Click "Next" at the welcome screen to enter the Recovery Manager.
Select "No" when asked whether you want to perform a Microsoft System Restore. Click "Next" to continue.
Select "Yes" when asked whether you want to perform a System Recovery. Click "Next" to begin the restore process.
Choose the desired option to have the computer create a backup of your files.
Click "Next" when asked whether you want to proceed with the recovery process. Allow the process to be completed and wait for the login prompt to be displayed.
Tips and warnings
- Create backups of important files periodically to prevent data loss in the event of a hard drive failure. The backup created during the recovery process cannot save files lost because of hard drive problems.
- Be sure the laptop is not running on battery power during the recovery process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for