Sliding glass doors are a potential security risk in any home. Without the proper locks these exterior doors can be forced open by intruders. Older doors are especially susceptible to forced entry because of the stock cylindrical locks used to secure them. Even worse, these older locks do not permit entry from outside the door by the homeowner.
Upgrading cylinder door locks is an ideal way to enhance security in and around your home. Before an upgrade can be performed, you must remove the old cylinder sliding door locks.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Phillips screwdriver
Slide the door open. Place the cylinder lock in the "unlocked" position by turning the knob to the right. The knob will face up and down when unlocked.
Remove the screws from either side of the locking knob. A Phillips screwdriver is necessary to remove these screws. Remove the plate that was held in place by the screws. This will remove the inner and outer lock plates, as well as the locking knob.
Remove the top and bottom screws from the jamb plate of the lock. These screws are located on the inside of the door jamb. Slide the jamb plate off the door.
Slide a screwdriver into the hole formerly occupied by the locking knob. Do not pass the screwdriver completely through, but rather position it so that it is facing the strike hole in the door jamb. Tap the end of the screwdriver gently to push the locking mechanism through the strike hole in the door jamb.
Tips and warnings
- Take the cylinder lock to the hardware store to aid in finding a secure replacement.
- Look at the outside of the sliding glass door for a removable plate that would allow for a keyed lock on the outside of the door.
- Consider installing a sliding glass door lock bar for added security.
- Cylindrical sliding glass door locks are easy to pry open and thereby facilitate entry and represent a security risk.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for