If you love your Air Jordans, don't throw them into a washing machine. Yes, they will get thoroughly cleaned in the machine, but they'll likely lose their shape and wear out faster.
A little elbow grease, a brush or rag and simple dish soap, laundry soap or other household cleansers usually do the trick. If you have persistent stains you may need a harsher cleanser but be careful if your shoes are not white, as you may bleach some of the colour out.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Washing machine (optional, for laces and insoles)
- Bucket or sink
- Cleansing soap or detergent
- Shoe brush, toothbrush or rag
- Paper towel or newspaper
- Baking soda
Remove the shoelaces and put them in your washing machine, if they're really dirty. You may wish to put the insoles in the machine as well.
Fill a bucket or sink with warm, soapy water. You can use dish soap or laundry soap. Alternatively, use a household spray cleanser. Natural cleansers are generally less harmful and won't affect the colour. Do not use products with bleach unless your shoes are white.
Dip an old toothbrush or another small brush into the soapy water, or spray your cleanser of choice onto one shoe.
Scrub the outside of the shoe gently and thoroughly in small circular patterns and back-and-forth motions. Repeat for the other shoe.
Tackle stubborn stains with a mildly abrasive bleach cleanser if you have white shoes, or simply use a stiffer brush or scrubbing pad if your shoes are not white.
Stuff your shoes with newspaper or paper towels once you've finished cleaning them, and let them sit like this until they are dry. You may have to replace the newspaper or paper towels a couple of times if they get wet. This prevents the insides of your shoes from getting damp.
Tips and warnings
- You can also sprinkle baking soda inside your shoes, being sure to get some on the bottom, top and sides. Let them sit like this for a few hours and then shake out the excess baking soda. This helps deodorise your shoes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for