How to restore the colour of Uggs
Image by Aisforamy91; Flickr.
Ugg boots have a become a fashion staple for the winter. The boots' warm sheepskin and wool are so comfortable to cold feet you may never take them off. However, frequent wear leads to inevitable stains and loss of colour on your beloved Uggs. Salt stains from snow and ice are a common culprit of Ugg discolouration.
But take heart, it is possible to clean your Ugg boots and restore them close to their original condition.
Moisten the entire surface of the boot evenly and lightly with a cold water sponge. Do not immerse the entire boot into the water or it will damage the boot's lining and affect the boot's shape.
- Ugg boots have a become a fashion staple for the winter.
- But take heart, it is possible to clean your Ugg boots and restore them close to their original condition.
Mix a solution of 1 part cleaner and conditioner to 1 part water. Apply a small amount of the solution to a clean, wet sponge. Do not apply the solution directly to your boot or you will damage the sheepskin.
Rub the solution on your boot with the sponge gently and evenly until it foams. Cover the entire boot with this solution. Scrubbing will help remove the dirt, grime and salt that are causing your boot to lose colour. Follow up immediately with a clean sponge dipped in water to rinse the boot of the cleaning solution and dirt.
- Mix a solution of 1 part cleaner and conditioner to 1 part water.
- Rub the solution on your boot with the sponge gently and evenly until it foams.
Stuff the boots with paper towels or newspaper to help the Uggs hold their shape and place the boots away from direct heat or sunlight to dry. Allow the boots to dry naturally and completely, which may take at least 24 hours.
Brush the Uggs with a suede brush once they are finished drying. Gently brush them in one direction only. Brushing will help remove any remaining dirt and salt caught in the sheepskin and help restore texture and colour.
- Ugg offers a water and stain repellent that can be sprayed on your boots before wearing to minimise stains or discolouration.
- Avoid wearing your Ugg boots through heavy rain or snow to keep their colour in top condition.
- Washing Uggs in a washing machine will further erode the colour. Since Uggs are made out of sheepskin, they must be cleaned delicately and by hand washing only.
Based in Little Rock, Arkansas, Kristi Gray has been writing for over fourteen years with extensive experience in legal and business writing. Her articles have appeared in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and trade newsletters. She has won several awards at the annual Arkansas Writers' Conference. Gray holds a Bachelor's Degree in English from the University of Arkansas.