If you can't remember what size your propane tank is, don't worry. You can identify your propane tank size by weight if it is full or empty, or with a few simple measurements if it is partially full. It's important to know your propane tank size because most appliances recommend a specific propane tank because of space limitations and the length of the gas hose on the appliance. Propane tanks are sized by how many pounds of propane a full tank holds, so knowing the size of your propane tank also allows you to calculate propane usage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Propane tank
- Measuring tape
Place your completely full or empty propane tank on a scale, and record its weight.
Compare the recorded weight of your propane tank with the following weights: 17.2kg. for a full 9.07kg. size propane tank, 8.16kg. if empty; 24.5kg. for a full 13.6kg. size propane tank, 10.9kg. if empty; 31.8kg. for a full 18.1kg. size propane tank, 13.2kg. if empty; and 77.1kg. for a full 45.4kg. size propane tank, 30.8kg. if empty.
Identify the propane tank size that most closely matches the weight of your empty or full propane tank.
Hold your measuring tape against the bottom of the propane tank and measure up to the base of the propane tank collar. The collar is the metal piece on top of the propane tank that surrounds the valve.
Measure the diameter of your propane tank at its widest point.
Compare your propane tank measurements to the following: 18 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 9.07kg. propane tank; 24 inches high and 12.5 inches diameter for a 13.6kg. propane tank; 29 inches high and 12.5 inches in diameter for a 18.1kg. propane tank; and 48 inches high and 14.5 inches in diameter for a 45.4kg. propane tank.
Identify the propane tank size that most closely matches your measurements.
Tips and warnings
- Propane tank weights and sizes vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, so do not be concerned if your weight and measurements do not match up exactly with the standards provided. Simply choose the closest match.
- Propane tanks should be handled with extreme caution. If necessary, ask someone for help when weighing a large propane tank.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for