The iPod Classic is an entry into Apple's iPod line of consumer electronics. Unlike other brands of MP3 and video players, the iPod Classic does not operate with AA or AAA batteries. The Classic has an internal lithium-ion battery that is designed to be charged and recharged. It does not, however, have an infinite life. There are a few important things to consider when using your iPod Classic.
Turn on your computer (if it isn't on already).
Plug one end of the USB cable that came with your iPod Classic into a USB port on your computer.
Plug the other end of the USB cable that came with your iPod Classic into the input on the bottom of the iPod itself.
Let your iPod Classic charge using the power being generated by your computer until the battery meter on the screen is completely green. This means that the iPod Classic's lithium-ion battery is fully charged. You can then disconnect it from your computer and use it.
Let your iPod Classic's battery drain completely before charging. This is called a "cycle." If you constantly charge the battery before it is empty, it will begin to lose a bit of its overall capacity over time. It is recommended by Apple that you perform a full charging "cycle" at least one time a month to keep your iPod Classic's battery at peak efficiency.
Do not store your iPod Classic in areas where it is extremely cold or extremely hot. Temperatures colder than 00 degrees Celsius or hotter than 35 degrees Celsius could prematurely limit the overall lifespan of the lithium-ion battery.