The Nintendo Wii gives players a motion controller to add another dimension to playing video games, but it does not offer HDMI support like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. This is because the Wii has a native resolution of 480p while the other consoles support 1080p output, which requires the HDMI connection. However, if you must connect the Wii to an HDMI input, it is possible with a component to HDMI adaptor. Follow these steps to make the connection.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wii component cables
- Component to HDMI adaptor
- HDMI cable
Connect the component cables to the Wii. They will go into the same port as the regular AV cables that come with the system.
Connect the red, blue, green end of the component cable into the HDMI adaptor.
Connect the HDMI adaptor to your TV via an HDMI cable. The cable will insert into the HDMI output port on the adaptor and the HDMI input port on your TV.
Power on the HDMI adaptor. Most adaptors require a DC power supply.
Turn on your TV and put it to the correct HDMI video input channel.
Turn on your Wii. Your Wii will now play through the HDMI port.
Tips and warnings
- Although the Wii is playing through the HDMI port, the max resolution will still be 480p as the Wii cannot output anything higher than that.
- Component to HDMI adaptors can be found at most electronic stores and online. Some examples of what you need can be found in the Resources section below.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for