Making a seat cushion for your rocking chair can add comfort and style to your home. Add a casual flair to your decor with a soft rocking chair cushion, or create a thin, sleek cushion for a more contemporary-looking rocking chair. With some sewing supplies, you can make a chair cushion in matching or complimentary fabric. Make a rocking chair seat cushion and all of your guests will want to take a turn rocking in the most comfortable chair in your home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- Sewing Machine
- Foam padding
Measure the width and depth of your rocking chair seat.
Fold the cushion fabric in half with the right sides together. Place the folded fabric on your work surface.
Mark your fabric the width and depth of your chair. Add 2-inches to the width and depth measurements for the seam allowance.
Cut the fabric for the rocking chair cushion.
Pin the fabric together, matching the raw edges.
Machine-stitch the fabric. Leave an 8-inch opening at the back of the seat cushion for the foam padding.
Turn the cushion cover right-side out. Iron the cushion cover flat, smoothing the edges of the cover as you iron.
Mark the foam padding the width and depth of your rocking chair seat, then cut it according to the pattern.
Push the foam padding inside the cushion cover. Smooth the padding flat inside the cover.
Fold the fabric of the opening so the raw edges are facing inside the cushion. Machine-stitch the opening of the cushion closed.
Tips and warnings
- Create ties for your rocking chair seat cushion. Machine-stitch two 12-inch fabric tubes. Turn the tubes right-side out. Machine-stitch the ends of the tubes closed. Fold the tubes in half. Pin the tubes between the layers of the fabric seat cover, matching the fold to the raw edges of the cushion fabric. Machine-stitch the fabric ties into place as you sew the seat cover.
- Remove pins as you machine-stitch. Pins can bend or break sewing machine needles.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for