Create decorative and celebratory miniature flags to hang from your front porch post or to display in a garden. With minimal sewing skills, bits of fabric and embellishments you can create little works of art that wave in the wind for all to admire. Make them with themes in mind such as Christmas, a friend's birthday or simply one that reflects a hobby or personal interest such as pretty flowers. You can also sew mini flags to give as gifts.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Fabric, lightweight
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Straight pins
Purchase 1 yard of plain or printed lightweight fabric at a fabric supply shop.
Measure a 12 inch by 18 inch rectangle with a measuring tape and cut with scissors.
Use a sewing machine to straight stitch a 1/4-inch seam on all four sides. Fold over one narrow end 1 inch and sew the edge down. This allows a dowel or a means to hang the mini flag. Iron the flag.
Lay the flag on a work table and arrange appliques in the centre on the front. These appliques, available at sewing and craft shops, can reflect the theme of your flag such as garden, a holiday, traveller or any other topic. Insert straight pins to hold the appliques.
Use a zigzag stitch on your sewing machine along the edges of the appliques to secure them to the flag. Hang on a dowel with a cord to display or on a flag holder.
Tips and warnings
- Having a child's birthday party with a princess, race car or pirate theme? Make several themed miniature flags to decorate with. Stencil designs onto a canvas flag using plastic stencils and fabric paints.
- To celebrate the birth of a new baby, print a photo of the new addition on transfer paper that can be heat pressed on fabric.
- Embellishments such as fringe or pom poms can be sewn along the bottom to enhance the flag.
- Make your own appliques by cutting large themed images printed on fabric.
- If working with children, they can use white glue to attach the appliques onto the flag. Let it dry well.
- Any small size flag can be considered a "mini" flag. There are no specific sizes or dimensions for a mini flag. It's whatever you want it to be.
- Mini flags also can be cut out of vinyl and stapled along the side of a thin dowel to stick in the ground for display.
- Adults only should use the sewing machine only unless a child is old enough to use one with supervision.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for