There are several ways to effectively remove sweat stains from a baseball cap. Although older caps contained cardboard and were often damaged in the wash, caps now contain a flexible plastic in the bill that is much more resilient.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Baking soda
- Baseball cap form preserver (baseball cap cage)
Check the washing instructions on your baseball cap. Following the instructions on the tag is always your best bet. However, if your cap does not have a tag, or if the stains are especially persistent, try using the steps listed below.
Mix one part water and one part baking soda until pasty.
Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the paste. For larger quantities, you might want to add a little more.
Dip an old toothbrush into the paste and gently scrub the stained areas of the baseball cap.
Wash the cap on the upper level of the dishwasher. For dark-coloured caps, be careful not to use a dish detergent that contains bleach. Use a baseball cap cage to preserve the hat's shape. Alternatively, you may also put the cap (with the cage) in the washing machine.
Tips and warnings
- If the sweat stains persist, you might try scrubbing the cap with shampoo. Shampoo is designed to remove oils that come from the scalp, and may help to remove the stains.
- Next time, try applying "Hat Saver" to your cap before you wear it. It prevents sweat from staining the fabric.
- Avoid putting your cap in the dryer.
- Never use hot water to remove stains or wash your cap.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for