Hermes Birkin handbags are the epitome of fashion and luxury. There are even waiting lists to purchase a Birkin that may run upwards of five years. The fact that these they are difficult to obtain increases the chances that people will try to sell fake Birkins and pass them off as the real thing. It's important to authenticate your Hermes Birkin handbag or you may pay money for a fake that will not hold up nearly as long or stay in good condition. Authentic Hermes Birkin bags are made with the finest leather and will last a lifetime.
- Skill level:
Examine the shape of the bag carefully. The shape of an authentic Hermes Birkin handbag is very structured and crisp. It is flat on both the front and the back with no bulges or lines. A fake Hermes Birkin handbag will not be as crisp and may have slight bulges.
Study the stitching on the handbag. On an authentic Birkin, the stitching will be very even and tight. Also, the stitches on all Birkin handbags are called "saddle stitches." This is when two stitches cross over each other to create an "X" pattern.
Examine the hardware on the handbag. An authentic Birkin has solid hardware, not hollow. In addition, the engraving on the hardware should be thin and the letters should be below the surface rather than raised above the surface.
Look inside the handbag. An authentic Hermes Birkin has the words "Hermes Paris, Made in France" stamped on the inside of the bag. The stamp is clear and uniform as well. Often fake handbags will have the same stamp on the inside but the stamp will not be as clear and defined.
Examine the leather on the handbag closely. If you have doubts about the quality of the leather, it is likely that you are looking at a fake Birkin. That is because authentic Birkins are made with the best leather available. There will be no flaws or defects.
Tips and warnings
- Authentic Hermes Birkin handbags come with an orange dust bag.
- Before purchasing your handbag, spend some time in a Hermes store. Become familiar with the leather and the hardware. This will make it easier for you to spot a fake one.
- If you see an inexpensive Birkin for sale on an auction site, just assume that it is a fake handbag.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for