Celery soup is a delicious vegetable soup. There are several variations of celery soup ranging from cream-based to a more rustic-style soup. For a broth-based soup with chunky vegetables, try 300 Sensational Soups by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds. Your local library also has a good collection of cookbooks. This recipe is for a cream-based celery soup. It's easy and guaranteed to entice even non-celery eaters. In general, making soup is a very forgiving process; it's difficult to make bad soup.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- A large stock pot
- Mixing bowl
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1.36 Kilogram celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut small
- 1/2 pound onions, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 quarts hot milk
- 1 cup butter
Pour the chicken stock into a large pot and bring to a boil.
Add the celery, carrots and onion to the pot of boiling chicken stock.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and milk until well blended. Add to the stock pot along with the butter.
Boil all ingredients together for 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat. Be sure to stir the ingredients so they don't stick.
Strain out all the vegetables by pouring the soup through a colander and into a large bowl. Pour the liquid back into the stock pot and heat for 5 minutes. Serve with french bread for a delicious meal. This recipe yields 4-6 servings.
Tips and warnings
- If you prefer to leave the vegetables in the soup, chop them into small, bite-sized pieces. Soy milk may also be substituted for this recipe.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for