If your area rug has previously been rolled up, when it comes time to unroll it, you may find that it won't lay as flat as you would like. Wrinkles in area rugs not only distort the appearance of the rugs, but they also can create a tripping hazard for those who walk across it. Removing these pesky wrinkles requires more time than it does actual effort--time well spent in the interest of having a flat rug.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Double-sided tape
Hang the rug in the bathroom over the shower curtain rod.
Adjust the shower nozzle away from the curtain rod so that when you turn the shower on, you won't soak the rug.
Turn the water on hot, and close the bathroom door to keep the steam in the room.
Allow the rug to sit in the steamy bathroom for 15 to 20 minutes to get rid of the wrinkles.
Set the rug outside in the sunshine to dry. If the weather isn't cooperating, place the rug someplace cool and dry instead. Make sure that the rug is lying flat to avoid new wrinkles.
Remove Wrinkles with Steam
Turn the rug upside down so the backing is facing up.
Place strips of double-sided tape diagonally on the corners, approximately 12 inches in.
Place two to three strips of double-sided tape in the middle.
Flip the rug over, and place it in the desired spot. You may need another person to help you move the rug.
Stand on all of the areas that have tape underneath for at least a minute at a time to weigh them down and help the rug to stick to the floor.
Place something heavy on each of the corners to keep the tape from coming up. Leave the corners anchored down for at least 24 hours.
Remove the Wrinkles with Tape
Tips and warnings
- If the weather permits you can set the rug outside on a sunny day to let the warmth of the sun eliminate the wrinkles. Keep an eye on the rug by checking on it periodically as too much sunshine may fade the colours.
- Use caution when using steam as moisture may cause shrinkage in wool, silk and sisal or jute rugs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for