Oven gloves, also known as oven gloves, are large, mitten-like hand coverings designed to protect the wearer from heat. They are a necessity when taking things out of the oven. Making your own oven gloves, whether you decide to make just one or a pair, is a sewing project that takes no longer than a single afternoon. The project doesn't require much sewing experience.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Lining fabric
- Cotton batting sheet
- Double-fold bias tape
- Sewing machine
On the paper, trace a loose outline of your hand with your fingers together and your thumb out, leaving a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of extra space.
Cut out this outline. This is the pattern for your mitt.
Trace this pattern twice onto the batting, lining fabric and the main fabric for the mitt. Cut out the six forms.
Take one each of the batting, lining and main fabric forms, and sandwich them: main fabric, batting and lining. Do the same with the remaining three forms.
Sew a diamond pattern into each of the fabric, batting and lining sandwiches. Make the diamonds as large or small as your taste dictates. This creates the quilting on the glove.
Sew the edges of one of the sandwiches together, using a zigzag stitch. Do the same for the other sandwich.
Cut off a length of the double-fold bias tape, and fold it over the seam where the wrist opening will be. Sew the tape on the seam. Do the same with the other sandwich.
Layer the two sandwiches on top of one another, lining out. Sew them together at the edge, skipping the wrist opening.
Turn the glove inside-out--which will really be right-side-out--and you have your oven glove.
Tips and warnings
- Use leftover yards of material, such as batting, by making extra sets of oven gloves for friends or family members at the same time you make your own.
- Instead of bias tape, consider just using a strip of fabric.
- Keep all the layers together as you sew the quilt pattern into the mitts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for