Dyeing your hair from black or dark brown to platinum can be a long process. When using bleach on hair, it's key that the hair is healthy. Bleaching will strip your hair of all pigments and leave it vulnerable. Platinum blonde colour is achieved by using a toner, which is a deposit-only colouring applied to your hair after lightening. Using a toner with purple or blue bases helps get rid of yellow tones.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 2 boxes Born Blonde Maxi
- 1 bottle toner
- 1 bottle 20 vol developer
- 1 plastic bottle with applicator
- Deep conditioner
- Petroleum jelly
Mix 1 box of Born Blonde hair bleach according to the package.
Smooth petroleum jelly along the hairline and the back of the neck to prevent staining of the skin.
Apply the bleach all over the hair and leave it on for an hour to an hour and a half.
Check hair for desired lightness and shampoo the hair. While washing the hair, when the water runs clear, squeeze the hair and apply a deep conditioner. Leave the conditioner in for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse. If the hair is pale yellow you are free to use the toner. If it is anything darker, you will need to bleach again; otherwise, the toner will not take effect. Wait at least 48 hours to a week before bleaching again, hair will be very fragile and prone to breakage.
Mix toner with developer according to toner bottle. Most toners use the 1:2 method, meaning for every ounce of toner, use two ounces of developer. Use a toner with a violet base; violets and purples counteract and rid yellow and brassy tones.
Apply toner all over damp hair and leave on 10 minutes or less. Leaving the toner on the hair longer may result in the purple in the toner tinting your hair. Do this a day after your last bleaching. Toners can be found at your local beauty supply store.
Apply a deep conditioner and leave on for 5 minutes before rinsing.
Tips and warnings
- There are many shampoos with a purple base that, when used weekly, will keep the brassy tones out of the hair.
- To help the healing process, avoid frequent use of heating tools such as flat irons and blow dryers.
- Work in a well ventilated room when using bleach; the fumes are strong and can cause burning of the eyes while making it hard to breathe.
- Hair will be very fragile after bleaching. Keep the hair trimmed and well conditioned to prevent breakage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for