Put a smile on someone's face for the holidays with a handmade beaded Christmas ornament. These can be hung on a Christmas tree or displayed in a group in a pretty bowl or plate on the table. Small beaded ornaments can be attached to wrapped presents as a special gift.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Styrofoam balls
- Straight pins
- Colourful, decorative beads
- Metallic gold or silver spray paint
- Satin ribbon
Lay styrofoam balls on newspaper on an outside work table or floor protected with newspapers. Spray the balls with metallic paint and let them dry. Turn each over and spray the unpainted sides until each ball is completely painted. Let them dry. Place them on a tray and take them indoors to decorate.
Take a straight pin and slip a few beads on it. If desired, add a tiny decorative star as well.
Hold two overlapping ends of a satin ribbon strip on any part of a styrofoam ball. Insert the beaded straight pin from Step 2 through both ribbon ends, push it in as far as it will go, and secure it to the ball.
Take another straight pin and add a few more beads, and another star if desired, and then push the pin in near the first pin on the styrofoam ball as far as it will go. Continue beading straight pins and pushing them into the styrofoam ball until the ball is evenly, and completely, covered with beads on straight pins.
Tips and warnings
- Straight pins are available in different lengths; use the same length for this project or use a variety. Longer pins, of course, require more beads than shorter ones, but it creates an interesting effect.
- Decorative beads can be all one colour or mixed, as desired.
- Spray styrofoam balls with paint in a well-ventilated area.
- Adults should help children with this project using the straight pins and spraying the styrofoam balls.