Old leather furniture can be made to look like new with a technique you can do all by yourself. You can refresh or change the colour of leather to match any room in your house. With a some leather dye, you can make that old chair look like new again.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Leather deglazer
- Leather dye
- Clean cotton cloths
- Spray bottle with water
- Leather finish spray
Move your furniture piece so you can easily access all sides. Remove cushions, if possible.
Apply the deglazer with a clean cloth, making sure to apply it to all of the areas that you plan to dye -- including any removed cushions. The deglazer will remove the shiny finish on the leather and prepare it to accept the dye. The deglazer will also remove any oily stains or spots that are on the leather. The original colour of the leather may lighten or change a bit, but this is to be expected.
Mix the dye well before applying it to the leather. Stirring or shaking will do the job.
Squirt the furniture piece lightly with your water-filled spray bottle to wet the leather enough to spread the dye evenly. Take your sponge and apply the dye with smooth strokes. Continue to do so until you have completely covered the area that you want to dye.
Allow to dry for about two hours. If the colour is not strong enough after the drying time is complete, apply another coat. Continue to do so until you get the result you are looking for.
Apply a leather finishing spray to protect the piece after the desired colour is achieved and the leather is dry. Your finished product will look as if it just came from the showroom.
Tips and warnings
- Small spots on leather furniture can be touched up with waxless leather shoe polish.
- Test the leather before you begin this process. Find a small area that will go unnoticed, such as behind the couch or under a cushion, and test that first. If you don't like the result, the whole couch won't be ruined.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for