Don't have a heart-shaped cake tin? Not to worry. Follow the steps below to make the perfect heart-shaped cake.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Cake mix for two-layer cake
- Icing for two-layer cake
- 1 round cakes pan
- 1 square cake pans
- Aluminium foil
- Cake decorations
- Lace doilies
- Cake platters or cardboard base
- Cooking racks
Prepare your favourite cake mix or batter, making sure you have enough for a two-layer cake.
Put half of the batter in the square cake tin and half of the batter in the round cake pan. Bake as directed and let cool.
Prepare a platter, cake tray or cardboard base for the cake. It should measure about 38 cm by 38 cm (15 by 15 inches). Cover with aluminium foil or paper doilies as desired.
Place the square layer on the platter so that one corner faces down at the bottom of the platter, forming a diamond shape.
Cut the round layer in half, then place the cut side of each half of the round layer against one upper side of the square layer to form a one-layer heart.
Ice the cake, using icing to cover the seams.
Decorate the cake as desired. Consider using colored decorating sugar, candy conversation hearts, red hots or other decorating candies.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure the sides of the square cake tin are the same size as the diameter of the round cake tin, so the edges line up correctly.
- Spread the batter evenly in both tins so that the square and round layers are equal in size. This will avoid a major height difference at the seams.
- Heart-shaped cake tins are also available.