Sinking into a warm bath filled with soft, fragrant bubbles at the end of a tiring day eases muscular tension, calms the mind, and prepares the body for restful sleep. If bubble bars are among your favourite foaming bath products, why not follow a simple recipe to make your own sweet-smelling varieties? If you can bear to part with your handmade lovelies, bubble bars also make lovely gifts for family and friends when wrapped in coloured cellophane and tied with a pretty ribbon bow.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 140-gram or 5-ounce soap mould
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 cups bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 3/4 cup citric acid
- 1 cup sodium lauryl sulfoacetate
- Water soluble soap dye
- 11/2 tbsp glyceryl cocoate
- 1 tbsp glycerine
- Essential oil
Grease the soap mould by spraying it lightly with cooking oil. Place the bicarbonate of soda, cornflour, citric acid and sodium lauryl sulfoacetate into a large mixing bowl. Dilute a drop of your chosen colour of water soluble soap dye in half a cup of cold water and then add the diluted dye to the dry ingredients. Stir the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
Combine the glyceryl cocoate, glycerine and a drop of your chosen essential oil in a large jug. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl and stir them briskly until mixed.
Melt the cocoa butter by placing it into a small bowl and on top of a pan of hot water. Once melted, combine the cocoa butter with the ingredients in the large bowl, and stir the mixture briskly.
Pour the bubble bar mixture into the soap mould. Place the mould into the freezer for 10 minutes. Remove the mould from the freezer and ease the set bubble bar from the mould.
Tips and warnings
- Store bubble bars in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
- Avoid inhaling dust fumes when using dry sodium lauryl sulfoacetate. Turn your face away from the bowl when mixing ingredients together, or wear a protective face mask.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for