How to Find Out Who Owns a WordPress Blog
Most WordPress bloggers want the world to know who they are and what they wrote. However, some may be less than forthcoming with their true identity.
If you are trying to find the author of a WordPress blog for an article credit or just out of curiosity, there are a few different ways to try and determine the name behind the posts. However, if a blogger has taken steps to assure anonymity, you may not be successful in identifying him or her.
- Most WordPress bloggers want the world to know who they are and what they wrote.
- However, if a blogger has taken steps to assure anonymity, you may not be successful in identifying him or her.
Look for a menu labelled "About," "Author" or "Contact." Typically, you can find blog menus across the blog header or within a sidebar. Most WordPress bloggers will have a little blurb about themselves in one of these sections. If you cannot find any menu with contact information or author credits, continue to step two.
Scroll down to the very bottom of the blog. Across the footer of the page, you will likely see text similar to the following:
Design Template by Awesome Blogs. Powered by WordPress.
Many templates also contain an author credit in the footer notes, such as:
Copyright 2011, Jane Doe.
If there is not footer credit visible, continue to step three.
Perform a WHOIS search for the WordPress blog's domain name. This will only be possible if the blog's owner has WordPress set up on their own Web server account, rather than through WordPress.com. WHOIS refers to the registration information associated with a domain name. This includes the Web host and the owner of the site. There are many search engines designed to search for WHOIS info by domain name. Examples include Network Solutions, Domain Tools and Who.is. As WHOIS info includes the personal contact information of the domain's owner, some domain users choose to purchase privacy protection for their WHOIS details. If this is the case with the owner of the WordPress blog you are searching for, you will only be able to see the name of the domain registrar to which they have subscribed.
- Perform a WHOIS search for the WordPress blog's domain name.
- As WHOIS info includes the personal contact information of the domain's owner, some domain users choose to purchase privacy protection for their WHOIS details.
- If you are trying to find the blogger's name in order to quote them or give them an article credit, linking back to their WordPress blog is acceptable if you cannot find their actual name.
Marie Cartwright began writing in 2010. Her work has appeared on various websites. Having held office jobs in copywriting and editing, Cartwright now works from her home in Northern California. She also maintains an events website geared toward the science and technology community.