How do I Derestrict a Ay50 Scooter?
Motorcycles at Florance Italy image by TekinT from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>
Scooters are an enjoyable and economical mode of transportation. The less CCs a scooter has, the cheaper the scooter tends to be, and one of the most inexpensive 50CC scooters on the market is the Ay50. With a low cost, however, comes a low top speed.
However, the speed of your Ay50 can be increased somewhat if you remove the restricting washer from the variator case. Derestricting your Ay50 scooter will improve its acceleration capabilities as well as raise its overall top speed.
- Scooters are an enjoyable and economical mode of transportation.
- However, the speed of your Ay50 can be increased somewhat if you remove the restricting washer from the variator case.
Remove the kickstart from the side of your scooter. It is attached to the scooter's variator system by a small pin which you will need to loosen before pulling slightly out. Pulling the pin out will allow you to remove the kickstart.
Open up your variator system. The lid of the system is held in place by six bolts positioned around its lid. These bolts can be removed with a standard socket wrench.
Disassemble the front pulley wheel in your variator system. The pulley wheel is held in place by a single bolt through its centre point. Attempting to remove the bolt with just a socket wrench will frustrate you, as every time you turn the wrench, the wheel will turn. You will need to either use a high-powered impact wrench, or you will need to secure the front pulley wheel with a strap wrench before using a standard socket wrench. Do this by wrapping the strap end of the wrench around the wheel and wedging the handle underneath the rear pulley wheel.
- Open up your variator system.
- The pulley wheel is held in place by a single bolt through its centre point.
Take the small spacing washer off of the rod to which the front pulley wheel was attached. This washer restricts the speed of your Ay50 by spacing the variator belt from the rod.
Put your variator system back together and reattach the kickstart.
- Scooters, Automatic Transmission 50 to 250cc (Hayne's Automotive Repair Manual); John Haynes; 2006
- Though it does not affect the CCs of your Ay50, removing the restricting washer does affect its overall top speed. If you find your scooter can travel over 30mph upon removing the washer, you may need to consider registering it with the DMV, as in most states it is illegal to operate a 50CC scooter over 30mph.
Samuel Hamilton has been writing since 2002. His work has appeared in “The Penn,” “The Antithesis,” “New Growth Arts Review" and “Deek” magazine. Hamilton holds a Master of Arts in English education from the University of Pittsburgh, and a Master of Arts in composition from the University of Florida.