How to Fix an LCD TV That Shows Red Shadows
Red shadows on you LCD television can be a major annoyance that will hinder your enjoyment of the TV viewing experience. This problem can be alleviated with an adjustment to the convergence settings in the "Image" menu.
The picture on an LCD television is created when three primary colours -- red, green and blue -- come together (converge) to create the image. If one of those colour settings is off, a red shadow will appear on the TV, distorting the image.
Turn your television off. Wait 30 to 60 seconds. Turn the television back on. This quick fix method may work sometimes, saving you from more involved steps. If it does not alleviate the problem, move on to Step 2.
- Red shadows on you LCD television can be a major annoyance that will hinder your enjoyment of the TV viewing experience.
- If one of those colour settings is off, a red shadow will appear on the TV, distorting the image.
Press "Menu" on your remote control or on the TV itself.
Highlight and select "Settings." This will vary depending on the brand of LCD TV. Other variations are "Options," "Settings" or "Set-Up." Select the "Video" or "Image" setting depending on the brand.
Highlight and select "Convergence." This is the setting that controls the colours that come together to create the image. There are settings for red, blue and green. Highlight the "Red" setting.
- Press "Menu" on your remote control or on the TV itself.
- Highlight the "Red" setting.
Move the convergence slider until the red shadow no longer appears. Press "Exit" when complete.
- This process can also be used in the event of green or blue shadows. Simply replace instances of "Red" with "Green" or "Blue" appropriately.
Carl Carabelli has been writing in various capacities for more than 15 years. He has utilized his creative writing skills to enhance his other ventures such as financial analysis, copywriting and contributing various articles and opinion pieces. Carabelli earned a bachelor's degree in communications from Seton Hall and has worked in banking, notably commercial lending, since 2001.