Microsoft Money 2000 is a financial management software that lets you set budgets, plan finances and track expenses. Microsoft discontinued the family of Microsoft Money products in late June 2009. The company still provides an upgrade path for Microsoft Money 2000 users with the release of the Microsoft Money Plus Sunset versions. These versions have the same features as their last release, known as Microsoft Money Plus, but lack the activation requirements and online services. Safely upgrade your old Microsoft Money version by acquiring the desired sunset version.
Visit the Microsoft Money Plus Sunset home page (see Resources) and click the link that leads to the version to which you want to upgrade. Click the "Download" button and save the installer to your desktop or any familiar location on your hard disk.
Double-click the installer that you just downloaded to begin the upgrade process. Confirm that you wish to install Microsoft Money Plus and wait for the installer to initialise.
Click the "I Accept" button to start the installation. Click the "Finish" button after the installation completes.
- Microsoft Money Help and Information Pages: Microsoft (MS) Money FAQ, Help and Information
- Microsoft Support: What Is Microsoft Money Plus Sunset?
- Microsoft Money Help and Information Pages: When I Upgrade My Version of Money, Money Tells Me It Is an Incompatible Version
- Microsoft Support: How to Export and Import Account Information in Microsoft Money
- Microsoft Support: You Cannot Convert Money 99 or Money 98 Data Files into Money 2006 or Later Data Files
- Microsoft: Microsoft Money Plus 'Sunset' Versions
- Microsoft Download Center: Money Plus Sunset Deluxe
- Microsoft Download Center: Money Plus Sunset Home and Business
- Microsoft Money Help and Information Pages: Downloads, Patches and Trials for Microsoft (MS) Money
- Microsoft Money Help and Information Pages: Features/Differences in the Microsoft Money Plus (Money 2008) US Versions
- Import your old Microsoft Money 2000 data if the upgrade fails to do so automatically. Launch Microsoft Money Plus from the "Start" menu and click the "File" menu. Go to "Open" and locate your Microsoft Money file with the .mny extension. Double-click that file to import your settings.
- Choose the Money Plus Sunset Home and Business version only if you want to use the software to manage a business account. The Money Plus Sunset Deluxe version is less complicated and has the basic features for personal financial management.
- Uninstall Microsoft Money 2000 using the Add/Remove Programs feature in the Control Panel if you are not using the U.S. version because you may encounter an error while performing Step 2.