How Should I Protect My Lambskin Leather Jacket?
man in leather jacket image by Valentin Mosichev from Fotolia.com
Lambskin leather is a delicate material that feels soft next to the skin. It comes in smooth and shearling varieties, with shearling closest to a suede type of leather. The smooth lambskin is known for its soft, silky texture.
Lambskin leather is so delicate, it needs proper care to keep the material from being damaged. Waterproofing and moisturising your lambskin jacket can keep it looking new for many years to come.
Spray a cloth with leather waterproof sealer. Be sure the sealer can be used for lambskin leather. Glide the cloth over the leather, making sure to cover the entire jacket.
- Lambskin leather is a delicate material that feels soft next to the skin.
- Be sure the sealer can be used for lambskin leather.
Protect the quality of the leather by moisturising with leather oil. Pour a small amount onto a clean, dry cloth. Rub the oil onto the inside hem of the jacket and allow the oil to sit for 15 minutes. If the oil darkens the colour of the hem, use less oil when applying to the front of the jacket.
Rub the moisturising oil in circular motions over the entire jacket. Rub it gently into the delicate lambskin leather.
- Protect the quality of the leather by moisturising with leather oil.
- Rub the moisturising oil in circular motions over the entire jacket.
Rub a soft, clean cloth over the jacket after moisturising to remove any excess oil.
Hang the jacket on a hanger with soft pads to preserve its shape. Hang it in a cool, dry environment and avoid placing it in direct sunlight, as that can fade the leather.
- Wear your lambskin jacket for special occasions. Excessive use of the delicate material may decrease its longevity.
- Do not store your lambskin jacket in plastic, as it can dry out the leather.
Constance Barker, located in the hills of southern Ohio, is the owner and writer of several financial, credit report and travel websites. She started writing in 1999 for private clients and began creating website content in 2004. She gained expertise in home improvement after she and her husband built their home themselves.