How to remove orange paint from an airsoft gun
replica airsoft image by MelenaVerde from Fotolia.com
Airsoft guns almost always come with orange paint on the tip of the barrel to indicate that it is not a real gun. While airsoft guns can be dangerous, they do not pose the same threat as a real gun.
It is important to always keep this orange tip on your airsoft gun when you are carrying it or using it in a public place so people don't mistake it for a genuine firearm. Still, airsoft guns can be used as a viable replica of a real gun as a movie prop or in another production. To make it look more realistic, you can remove the orange tip fairly easily. While it is illegal for a retailer to sell you an airsoft gun without an orange tip, is not illegal for you to remove it in most states.
- Airsoft guns almost always come with orange paint on the tip of the barrel to indicate that it is not a real gun.
- While airsoft guns can be dangerous, they do not pose the same threat as a real gun.
Unload your airsoft gun to minimise the risk of an accidental shooting injury. Make sure there are no airsoft BBs in the clip or gun chamber.
Remove the barrel of the gun if possible. If you cannot remove the barrel, cover the surrounding area of with tape to avoid removing any other paint on the gun.
Soak a small portion of a rag in paint remover, acetone, Goo Gone or nail polish remover while wearing rubber gloves.
Carefully rub the orange paint with the soaked portion of the rag without rubbing any other part of the gun. Soak the rag multiple times, and repeat the process as many times as required to remove all the paint.
Dry the barrel with a portion of the rag that has not been soaked, and paint over the portion that has become discoloured from the paint remover.
- Remove the barrel of the gun if possible.
- Dry the barrel with a portion of the rag that has not been soaked, and paint over the portion that has become discoloured from the paint remover.
Replace the barrel, and test the gun to make sure the barrel has not been blocked.
- Test the paint removing product on a small part of the orange paint to determine if it has any corrosive effects.
- If you do not have any paint removing products, you can paint over the orange tip or cover it with black tape. These methods are viable solutions but will not likely produce results as professional as when you completely remove the orange paint.
- Make sure that everyone around you knows that the airsoft gun is an air gun and not a genuine firearm.
- Take care not to inhale any of the fumes from the paint removing substance, as it may be toxic.
Alexander Abbott has more than seven years of experience in digital marketing. He has been a featured blogger for several media companies in Los Angeles and brings expertise in emerging technological trends, as well as international politics. Abbott is a graduate of the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California.