How to search a phone number to determine whose number it is
Many people refuse to answer phone calls when the number listed is unfamiliar. Trying to figure out whom the phone number belongs to can be as simple as hoping the caller will leave a message or calling the number back later.
However, if you would like to search a phone number to determine whose it is, you may use the Internet to do so.
Visit the website WhitePages.com (see link in References below) to perform a reverse search of an unfamiliar phone number. WhitePages.com is an online directory that is a great source for free people, business and phone number searches. According to Whitepages.com, its website provides the "most reliable contact information online."
Click "Reverse Lookup", a tab located on the upper middle of the WhitePages.com home screen. "Reverse Lookup" is a free service that allows users to enter a phone number to search for whom it belongs to and the registered address associated with the phone number.
- Many people refuse to answer phone calls when the number listed is unfamiliar.
- Visit the website WhitePages.com (see link in References below) to perform a reverse search of an unfamiliar phone number.
Enter the phone number. In a matter of moments the results will appear for your review. The results will list all the adult individuals who have an association to the phone number.
- Other websites that offer the similar services and capabilities include PhoneNumber.com and 411.com.
- If a phone number is private, a paid service through phone companies, such searches will not yield results.
- Do not return calls to unknown numbers that appear to be toll-free. Although they may appear to be toll-free, there are scams that connect callers to numbers charging high fees per minute.
Erika Bryant worked with Channel 2 news in Atlanta, GA for a year. Bryant has also written for her college newspaper, "The Signal", a neighborhood newsletter, and Firehow.com. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism from Georgia State University.