How to cook a turkey breast in the oven
Maybe you have a hankering for good old roasted turkey, but don't have the time it requires to cook a whole turkey. The solution is simple. A roasted turkey breast is just what you need to make. These cook up quick and easy with very little effort and in half the time it takes to roast a whole turkey.
Clean up is a breeze, too. Best of all, it practically cooks itself when you wrap it up in foil.
- Maybe you have a hankering for good old roasted turkey, but don't have the time it requires to cook a whole turkey.
Rinse the turkey breast with cold water and pat dry.
Soften margarine in a small bowl. Add minced garlic and chopped herbs. Mix all this together thoroughly.
Spread the margarine and herb mixture over the turkey breast. For added flavour, gently loosen the skin on the turkey breast with a wooden spoon. Leave the edges of the skin attached to the breast. Insert the herb mixture between the skin and the breast. Pat down to spread the mixture over the entire breast.
- Soften margarine in a small bowl.
- Spread the margarine and herb mixture over the turkey breast.
Wrap the breast with aluminium foil, folding the edges to seal in moisture. Place in a baking pan.
Roast at 180 degrees C (350 F) for 20 minutes per pound (450g) or until the internal temperature reaches 74 degrees C (160 degrees F).
Open the aluminium foil, being careful not to burn yourself on the escaping steam.
Serve with fresh cooked vegetables and mashed potatoes.
- To monitor internal temperature without opening the aluminium foil, insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast through the aluminium foil. Of course, leave the dial of the thermometer exposed.
- For a browned turkey breast, uncover 15 minutes before the end of cooking time and allow the turkey breast to brown.
- Be careful when removing the turkey breast from the oven. The steam can be very hot.
Nannette Richford is an avid gardener, teacher and nature enthusiast with more than four years' experience in online writing. Richford holds a Bachelor of Science in secondary education from the University of Maine Orono and certifications in teaching 7-12 English, K-8 General Elementary and Birth to age 5.