Hair loss affects both men and women and can be caused by heredity, stress, malnutrition and high levels of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Whether you are losing your hair or just want longer or thicker hair, eating fruits high in certain vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins C and E, can promote hair growth.
Along with bioflavinoids, vitamin C aids in circulation to your scalp which in turn promotes hair growth. You can add vitamin C to your diet by eating oranges, apples, grapefruits, apricots, lemons, limes, raspberries and strawberries.
Your body transforms beta-carotene into vitamin A as the body requires it. This conversion not only keeps the hair you already have healthy (along with your nails and skin) but also helps promote normal hair growth. You can find beta-carotene in cantaloupe.
Deficiencies in folic acid--a type of vitamin B--can cause hair loss, so it is vital to hair growth that you consume folic acid in your diet. Strawberries, oranges, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, raspberries, avocados, bananas and watermelon all contain folic acid.
You need a sufficient amount of inositol, another form of vitamin B, to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. To add inositol to your diet, eat cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits. Lemons, however, do not contain inositol.
Vitamin E improves circulation to the scalp by enhancing oxygen uptake. Hair follicles need blood flow to grow. Mangos and kiwi both contain sources of vitamin E.
Magnesium also contributes to healthy hair growth. You can find this mineral in bananas, artichokes, and dried figs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Black Hair Growth: Eat your fruits and veggies for healthier hair
- Quick Care Self Care Advisory: Foods That Promote Hair Growth
- The Vitamin and Nutrition Center: Vitamins for Your Hair
- The World's Healthiest Foods: Beta-carotene
- Nutritional Supple Health Guide: Inositol Benefits Seven Things You Must Know