Homemade kitchen disinfectant spray with bleach

Written by kay wagers
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

The kitchen is the heart of your home. You prepare food for your family there and it seems like every time you hold a party, everyone gathers in the kitchen. With so many activities taking place there, keeping your kitchen clean is a top priority. You can do so with a homemade kitchen disinfectant spray containing bleach.

Other People Are Reading

Bleach

Liquid bleach contains chemical compounds called surfactants. These compounds help bleach deeply penetrate organic material. This allows the sodium hypochlorite within the bleach to destroy organic material from the inside and the outside at the same time. It kills bacteria and some viruses more effectively because of this deep penetration. Bleach is used in industrial food processing plants, hospitals and can be used to disinfect water and make it safe for human and animal consumption.

Creation

When creating a homemade kitchen disinfectant spray with bleach, getting the right ratio of bleach to water is key. Too little bleach creates a weak solution that will not kill germs. Too much bleach can damage materials in your kitchen and leave behind a residue that can be hazardous to cooking and to people in your kitchen. To make your own disinfectant spray, pour a quart of water into a spray bottle. Add in ½ tsp of liquid bleach and shake up the bottle.

Use

This homemade kitchen disinfectant is safe to spray on countertops, tables and in the sink. Use it to wipe down the stove and other appliances, as well as clean out the refrigerator. This solution is mild enough that you do not need to rinse any area with water to remove lingering bleach. If you are spraying a surface on which you will directly place food, you should wipe it down to remove any chance of bleach affecting the flavour of your meal. While the spray is not intended to be used on kitchen linens, it is diluted enough that it will not bleach them.

Considerations

If you need to disinfect something like a thermometer, you will need to use a stronger ratio of bleach to water, about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. After disinfecting the item, be sure to rinse it. While the kitchen disinfectant spray is much weaker, avoid spraying it directly onto your skin and keep it out of your eyes, as it can irritate and inflame your skin and eyes. Use it in a well-ventilated area.

Bleach loses its power as a disinfectant over time. Do not store the kitchen disinfectant solution for more than a month. After that time, the bleach is no longer effective and you need to make a fresh batch.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.