Canadian visa application forms

There are many reasons to visit Canada. It is a popular holiday destination catering for a diverse range of travellers. Outdoor enthusiasts will love the Rocky Mountains and some of Canada’s huge wildlife parks, whilst city lovers will enjoy the buzz of places such as Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. UK citizens also visit Canada to study, do business and work. Visa requirements vary according to your status and the purpose of your visit.

Visa requirements

Most British passport holders do not need a visa to enter the country for short periods as a tourist. If you have concerns that a criminal record or your level of citizenship might be a problem you can check with Canada High Commission website (see Resources). Travellers classed as British overseas citizens or British Protected Persons will still need an initial entry visa.

Extended stays

On arrival in Canada, your UK passport will be stamped with a date that you have to leave by. To extend your stay you must apply for an extension 30 days before your status expires. You need to complete the questionnaire on the website and then download the application package, follow the instructions and then submit your application as instructed with the required fee. The website gives extensive guidance on how to answer questions on the form.

Application pack

The extension application pack has a document checklist to work through. You will need to complete a form IMM 5708 “Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident” forms related to marriage or common-law union, and a document check-list. Along with these documents you must include photocopies of your passport page with name, number and expiry date, and the page with your Canadian entry stamp.

Submitting application and payment

Once you have completed your form you have to pay the £75 fee. You can pay online at if you have a PDF reader, printer, email address and credit card. Alternatively, you can pay at various financial institutions across Canada using the receipt form available on the website. You can submit your application forms online via this website or send all completed forms and documents in a 9 x 12 inch envelope to:

CPC-Vegreville Visitor and Temporary Resident Permit 6212 55th Avenue, Unit 203 Vegreville AB T9C 1W1.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Paul Bayliss has been writing since 2003 with work appearing in publications such as "Verbatim," "Your Cat" and "Justice of the Peace." He has worked for central and local governments in the U.K. and his areas of writing expertise are travel, sport and social work. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in politics from Leeds University.