Both women and men wear thongs as underwear and swimwear. In today's society women wear thongs more often, however it is interesting to note that early African and Japanese men originally wore thongs. Women now primarily wear thongs to prevent panty lines from showing. Thongs come in a variety of styles and fabrics; the fancier ones are made from lace, silk, leather or suede; and thongs for everyday use are made from cotton and synthetic fibres, such as Lycra. A common question a new wearer asks is how to adjust a thong.
- Skill level:
Wear your newly purchased thong for two or three hours, if you have never worn one before. Women are more comfortable adjusting thong underwear when they are home. Thongs are designed with a simple triangle for the front and a string for the back and around the waist. Some styles also have a small triangle in back. Thongs feel strange at first, so allow yourself time to get used to the way they feel.
Adjust the front triangle so that it thoroughly covers the genital area. If the material is scratchy or itchy, try a cotton blend.
Arrange the back and side strings so that they are comfortable. The side strings can be thin or thick bands. Back strings can also be a thin, often called a G-string, or a wider strip of fabric.
Go to a private place such as a rest room and move the string if it has crept into an uncomfortable position.
Get a larger size thong if the back string feels too tight and is causing irritation. A good fit is the only way a thong will feel comfortable.
Tips and warnings
- Buy your first thong from a lingerie store that allows you to try it on.
- Cotton is a breathable fabric and reduces risk of infection.
- Lycra and thin cotton are good choices to eliminate panty lines.
- If you stand and sit a lot, wear a wider-backed thong.
- If you stand and walk a lot, wear a narrow-backed thong.
- Some physicians believe that wearing thongs continually can increase risks for yeast and urinary tract infections.
- Do not wear thongs if you are prone to haemorrhoids.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for