How to Get Rid of an Overbite

Updated March 24, 2017

An overbite is a problem that can affect the appearance and functionality of your teeth and jaws. When you have an overbite, the top row of teeth hang over the bottom row, which can cause your jaw to be misaligned. When not corrected, the problem can become more serious. To get rid of your overbite, visit your orthodontist and follow the prescribed treatment course. You may have to wear traditional braces to correct your overbite.

Schedule an appointment to visit your orthodontist. If you don't have an orthodontist, get a recommendation from your dentist.

Have your orthodontist examine your teeth and take X-rays. In extreme situations, your orthodontist may recommend surgery to correct your overbite. However, most of the time, you will need a combination of braces and retainers. Your orthodontist may recommend a series of trays that fit over your teeth and shift them gradually to remove your overbite.

Care for your teeth correctly while wearing trays or braces. You must brush your teeth and floss after each meal to keep your teeth healthy during the process. You will also likely need to visit your orthodontist several times per month to get your braces tightened or to get new trays to continue shifting your teeth so they're properly aligned.

Once you're finished with the series of trays, you will be given one last set to wear as a retainer. Or once your braces come off, you will need to wear a retainer for a prescribed period of time. Failing to wear your retainer as recommended by your orthodontist can result in your overbite returning.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Mike Johnson has been working as a writer since 2005, specializing in fitness, health, sports, recreational activities and relationship advice. He has also had short stories published in literary journals such as "First Class Magazine." Johnson holds a Bachelor of Science in education and history from Youngstown State University.